Grillust's first foray into the world of 'New Designers' is done (previously we were regulars at D&AD's New Blood event but as none of us have tattoo-sleeves or ride penny farthings, we were beginning to feel out of place).
Here's a D&AD representative on hearing the sad news that we were heading elsewhere. Ouch!
New Designers takes place in this grand space (The Design and business Centre, Islington). As well as graphic design and illustration there are graduates from areas such as product and furniture design. It makes for a really interesting visit and the event is a magnet for a variety of industries. It's also a great place to see concept designs for cars that will never be built in a month of Sundays.
Here's the GRaphic Design and ILLUSTrstion space and the group of dorks / graduates who's work adorns it. As you can see, we had a massive bit of real-estate to call our own.
New Designers attracts a huge amount of industry interest. Students manning the stand were never shy of people to talk to. Business cards flew thick and fast and many promising contacts were made.
So that's our London, graduate showcase done and dusted for another year. We all had a hectic / enjoyable time.
Interesting Grillust in London facts 2016:
• Students were served drinks by Phil Jupitas. Turns out he's as much of an arse in real life as he seems on telly.
• They also bumped into Jennifer Saunders, who we assume was out drowning her sorrows after the reception that her absolutely terrible, Absolutely Fabulous, film has received.
• Students saw a woman get her head stuck in the doors of a pneumatically powered wardrobe.
• Boris bikes don't go up hill very well.
• To make a burger into a Brazilian burger you stick a paper brazil flag into the bread.